Thursday, November 20, 2008

If there's a will there's a way

This actually all started yesterday at work when we were looking at the sign up list to bring in for food for our holiday dinner. It had Potato's,Stuffing,Cranberry Sauce,Rolls,Veggie platters,Chips&Dip and a spread of deserts everything but the meat. The day before, I had bought 2 turkeys since they were on sale at Hannaford's during my lunch hour and took them back to the office and put them in the freezer. Well while we were discussing the lack of meat on the menu my supervisor said "Rhonda I saw you put 2 turkeys in the freezer cook one of them up for our dinner tomorrow". Well she was just kidding of course since they were frozen solid and it was going to be almost 6pm before I got home. But as I was driving home I got to thinking about it and thought I can do this no problem. (Well not exactly no problem lol) Anyhow I rush to the freezer as soon as I got home and pulled out one of the turkeys and figured since we have microwaves now a days this should be no problem. I'll just stick it in the Mic and nuke it on defrost for an hour. So I cut open the turkey bag and low and behold there was a metal holder in it and of course I had to get that out of the turkey first before nuking it. Now you would think this would be easy right,,,,wrong. I co mensed to soaking it in cold water ,,1 hour,,,2 hours ,,,3 hours of flipping and soaking it, still I couldn't get it out and since at this point it was 10:30pm and 5am comes early I put it in the fridge on a platter and went to bed and figured maybe by morning I could get it out and nuke it for an hour while getting ready for work which I did exactly that and finally I had it defrosted enough to get the giblets and the neck out. I then rinsed it with warm water, put it in the big roaster and smeared it in butter. Now since I commute 45 minutes to work and we wanted this bird cooked by noon I figured why not cook it on the way. So I got my car adapter for AC and plugged it into my lighter and then put the huge roaster in the from seat, plugged it into the adapter and off I went. By the time I got to work it had been cooking at 350 degrees for 45 minutes. When I called my supervisor and explained I would be 10 min late for work but I had a turkey cooking on the way she said "what?" How are you cooking it in your car?" I explained , she laughed and I told her if there is a will there is a way. Sure enough it was ready not only by noon but by 11:30am. It was falling off the bone. So we enjoyed a great "HOT" Turkey along with all the fixing. Oh we did have an incident however. about mid morning the smoke alarm in the board room went off which is where the turkey was cooking unattended of course while we worked so the next thing I know I get a call saying I think your Turkey is calling you lol . I went running to the other end of the building to find the Turkey just fine but the detectors were sensitive so I opened the door and added a little water so the grease from the turkey wouldn't cause any more problems but since I opened the door you could smell turkey all through the building and it was making everyone hungry so they were all glad it was done a little sooner than we thought.

No comments: