Monday, June 6, 2011

Not Scrapping but Scraping To Get Buy ~Make Money~

Who ever thought you could make money from broken down junk. That's exactly what I did. When I started construction on the new house there was junk on the land everywhere. Nothing had been cleaned up for years. I wanted it out of site, so I had it hauled outback because at the time the dump charged you for everything not to mention the gas cost to haul it three towns away (we do not have our own transfer station) and I was short for time. I figured I would haul it off some day when construction was completed. For those of you who have followed this blog since the beginning you know I have been building a house pay check by paycheck for the past 6 years. Construction is not completely completed but I am living in the new house now. One day I heard a friend talking about "junking" or what some call "Scrapping". This is when you take your metal junk that is no longer any good to a metal recycling shop/plant and they pay you by the pound for it. There is some things you need to know first if you want to make the most money possible. One is there are several different metals and you get paid different amount per pound depending on what kind of metal it is. Another is they grade the metal and you get paid by the grade. The cleaner the metal and the size of the metal determines what grade it is. For example if you junked an old air conditioner and just threw it on the truck to take it to the recycling shop that would be mixed metal and you wouldn't get paid much because it contains wires and two or three different type of metals in it. But let's say you took the motor and stripped it down to just plain steel you would get the higher price. The bottom line is the more you separate and the more work you do the more you get paid per pound. This was awesome because not only did I get my land cleaned up but I got paid to do it. Make the world a greener place to live , clean your yard and make money while you do it.

No comments: